You are:

Bookmark this page

How Do I Train To Become a Respiratory Physiologist?

What qualifications would I need?

There are four main routes and levels of employment for respiratory physiologists.

Associate /Assistant (Post GCSEs)
Assistants will have the opportunity to study for NVQ/SVQs, whilst Associates could undertake Foundation Degrees. Following this there is a national career pathway which would be available to pursue career development.

Practitioner Training Programme (PTP) – undergraduate level 
Following ‘A’ levels students undertake a 3 year BSc Clinical Physiology (Hons) programme as a full time student with a Higher Education provider during which students complete academic and workplace based elements.

Scientist Training Programme (STP) – postgraduate level 
Students undertake an MSc and a Certificate of Achievement during a 3 year workplace-based programme. During this they complete academic studies and work placements. (Funded)

Higher Specialist Scientific Training (HSST) – doctoral level 
This is similar to the medical consultant training, a doctoral award is granted after completion of a 4/5 year programme at the end of which medical college examinations are undertaken (where appropriate). (Part Funded)

See a video on training to be a Healthcare Scientist from the NHS Careers website. It shows shows real healthcare science students talking about their experiences of the course:

NHS Careers

NHS careers also offer a course finder:

Course Finder

Further information on the role of Healthcare Scientists specialising in Respiratory Physiology and Sleep:

Respiratory Physiology and Sleep Sciences

If you would like a work experience opportunity, please see this leaflet which explains a little more on work experience in the NHS:

Work Experience

  • Association for Respiratory Technology & Physiology
    • Tel: 0845 226 3062
    • Fax: 0121 355 2420
    • Limited Company No. 5987719
    • Registered Charity No. 1117470
    • Connect with us